Gooding Jt. School District 231
COMMUNITY RELATIONS 4500P
Public Gifts/Donations to the Schools
The following basic principles shall apply to all gifts accepted by the School District:
- Gifts to employ “regular” full- or part-time personnel shall be discouraged;
- Gifts that involve significant costs for installation or maintenance, or initial or continuing financial commitments from school funds shall be discouraged;
- Gifts to individual members of the staff by students, parents, or organizations shall be discouraged;
- Gifts on a matching basis requiring money, property, or services by the District shall be discouraged;
- Gifts to the School District become the property of the District and are subject to the same controls and regulations that govern the use of all District-owned property;
- Any purchase to be funded by a cash donation must be processed in accordance with District policy.
- Gifts of library materials will only be added to a school library’s collection if they meet the standards for selection of library Policy 2510 and Procedure 2510P provide further detail on the donation of library materials.
- Gifts that meet the definition of a fixed asset as outlined in the District policy on inventories must be added to the school’s fixed assets inventory.
- Gifts with a value of $1,000 or less will be accepted by the authority of the appropriate principal, director, or program Gifts with a value in excess of $1,000 but less than $10,000 will be accepted by the authority of the Superintendent or designee. Contributions with a value in excess of $10,000 will be presented to and acted upon by the Board of Trustees.
- At the time of acceptance of the gift, there will be a definite understanding with regard to the use of the gift, including whether it is intended for the use of one particular school or all schools in the District. It is the responsibility of the appropriate principal, director, or program manager to approve and accept the gift, process the appropriate forms to update inventory, and to send an acknowledgement letter to the donor.
Procedure History: Promulgated on: 8/7/12 Revised on: 2/14/23 Reviewed on: